Sunday, January 20, 2008

4 airbags deployed


4 airbags deployed
Originally uploaded by sunspotting.

Rick is fine. Achey, but fine. The girl who ran the stop sign is also fine, and I'm sure she is also very achey. She is in my prayers, too. Poor girl's only been driving since August, her father said she's a good driver. I'm sure she is! There's a reason this is called an 'accident' and not an 'intentional'. I know this was not the way WE wanted to spend the evening, I'm sure she had other plans, too.

We went further than just dealing with getting the car home. I convinced Rick he should visit the emergency room just in case there might be injuries other than just bruises. He'd been feeling particularly uncomfortable discomfort (no, it's not redundant, think about it, you'll know what I mean) in the chest area that he thought could possibly be cracked ribs. That raised alarm bells for me, and I wouldn't take no for an answer. As soon as we got done with the insurance company, and he had some food in his system, I packed him off to the ER.

It took several hours, but we are pleased to have the reassurance that there are no cracked ribs, injuries to his spine or neck, or (as he became more aware of this rather sharp pain later) fractured left hip.


But the damage to the car is extensive. It's fairly drivable, but not advisably so. And 4 airbags!!!

This first shot shows the damage to the front side panel and driver's side door. The door makes a horrible noise when it moves, and it moves none too easily.


(Pic 2) When I first got there, of course I checked to see that Rick was ok before I started taking pictures. This was the first one I took. The car really wasn't the first thing on my mind, though, because I never realized until we got the car home that the hood wasn't flush with the body. It's certainly clear in this picture!


(Pic 3) In this view, you can see the seatbelt hanging out of the door: it's the black loop in the lower right-hand corner of the picture. It did its job during the accident. It restrained Rick properly (thank God) and kept him from going through a window or having worse than just bruises for injuries. But now it will no longer retract.


The final image is a wider view of the side damage. It was so cold, and we were so relieved that the police were letting all of us go, that we were very happy to just go. Rick assured me that the police got plenty of pictures that likely will be submitted to the insurance company. Speaking of, we spent the day watching football playoffs (Rick is taking muscle relaxants-prescribed by the ER-that are reportedly very effective; so effeective that he is quite immobile, and I am happy about that! Happy to take care of him, too.) and our insurance company is a major sponsor. I hope they really DO come through for us the way they advertise!!!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Robert A Vollrath said...

I'm glad cars have airbags now.
After my wreak in 75 my head looked like the elephant man's for two days.
I'm happy no one was seriously hurt in the wreak. You have a very positive outlook on the girl that caused the accident.
Thanks for the comment on my blog, it meant a lot to me.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm glad he's going to be ok.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks, Melissa! We're glad too. And glad about the girl in the other car being ok, too. She's been in my thoughts all weekend. Rick said the poor thing was consumed by her panic. It's nice to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home