Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I ride my bike because I can! (after yesterday's hefty editorial, we now return to my regularly scheduled blog, already in progress...)

This weekend I'm riding my bike to kick a disease in its ugly behind.

That's right, Multiple Sclerosis: I'm gunning for you.

I strongly despise the word "hate". There is violence inherent in the word alone, so I am very careful choosing when I use it. I'm about to use it.

I HATE MS.

I also HATE cancer, diabetes, heart disease, ALS, MD, cycstic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, and countless other ailments that rob us of our loved ones, but this weekend I am lodging a personal war against MS. (For the record, stubbed toes and my peculiar tendency towards falling UP the stairs tick me off too...)

My friend Patti was an aerobics instructor in her spare time before she got married. Now she has a collection of walkers and wheelchairs.

My cousin Roger was a captain of a cruise ship for Hornblower's line in the Bay area, and he loved his job. He can no longer do it, due to loss of vision and balance.

My friend River is beset by a variety of issues that change daily, and complications compound. It's heartbreaking to see the havock it wrecks upon this incredibly talented artist.

And this is a disease that reaches ALL in all walks of life; no one is spared once they have been targeted. A conversation with Joe Charboneau about his wife (another I know has MS) informed me she's not doing well. I am saddened to hear that. And so I ride for Cindy Charboneau now, too.

Saddened, but angered, too. There IS something we can do.

If you're reading this and you want to help, please CLICK HERE.

I won't say anything trite like "give til it hurts". Any amount will help. Just remember that some of the people with MS are in permanent pain from muscle spasms, or conversely, would love to feel anything, including pain, because of deadening effects on the nerves. So perhaps, "give til someone hurts" might be a fair sentiment.

How much can you give to help a fellow human?

Thank you. I'll be counting on you while I'm on my bike with the rest of my bike team this weekend.

Oh!! I almost forgot -- I'll be moblogging from the bike saddle. (Shh!! Don't tell my husband. He doesn't like when I do that. In fact, he probably hates it.) You can keep track of my progress (and the progress of the rest of Patti's Paladins) right here on this blog!!

Leave comments! Better yet: please donate.

 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home