Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Dear President-Elect Obama: about that puppy...

...have you considered the APL?

If you haven't, please do. It would be a wonderful example to set for the watching country WORLD.

I realize that the chances of anyone really seeing my humble blogpost are slim to none, but it's an issue that is near and dear to my heart.

There are millions of dogs (and cats) in shelters and protective leagues and foster homes all over the country that need a home. They make such excellent pets! I might argue that they make even better pets than a dog you could purchase, even from a reputable breeder. (I have nothing against reputable breeders!) Certainly from a "puppy mill" -- and you must be wary of those!! Bear in mind that a "mutt" is often and generally healthier than a purebred dog because it has fewer inbred and genetic physiological issues.

Here's an emotional reason why I hope you'll hear my plea: a rescued dog seems to know somehow that you reached down and lifted that dog up by the paw, and will express gratitude for the rest of his or her life. You'll see in his or her eyes a double dose of "doggy" gratitude. You will learn so much from this compassion!

Here's a socially responsible reason, though: whatever you do will be the example that is followed by countless of your followers. Not just here, but all over the world! You have the opportunity to make a great impact on so many lives -- human and animal alike.

Petfinder is another wonderful way to find a good pet for your family. I have friends who have used this service, and their lives have never been richer. I can't think of a better endorsement!!

This issue is more than "near and dear" to me. It's very deeply personal. I am adopted, too; I guess that makes ME a rescue.

I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk too: ALL of my pets throughout my life have been rescues or adoptees! This is why I can say with considerable experience, the gratitude expressed by a rescued dog welcomed into a family is a special gift.

Please, Mr. President-Elect. I wish for you and your family that same, special love of a rescue dog. Please consider the Animal Protective League when you start your search for your dog!

Respectfully submitted,

Rebecca, a citizen proudly owned by her dog and 3 cats.

 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home