Friday, July 14, 2006

borderlands and bookending the ride



Queen Anne's Lace border.jpg, originally uploaded by sunspotting.

This was the last picture I took on the ride. It's (another) one of my favorite wildflowers. If you've ever been anywhere in nature with me, it is impossible to keep me from spouting some bit of arcane knowledge about what's surrounding us.

Queen Anne's Lace is not only very beautiful, it is sometimes edible and sometimes medicinal (and therefore sometimes dangerous). I like it best when it is in a huge mass like this.

Earlier, before we got on our bikes, Rick found a young preying mantis on our back porch. I love mantids!!! They are (sigh. yes, ANOTHER) one of my favorite orders of insects (Order Dictyoptera). This one, being so young, was simply so delicate. Because it was so small I had to get out my 70-300 lens for the first time. I can't think of a better way to break that lens in! Or a better subject. The graceful symmetry. The crisp shadow. The perfect color. Here is a little gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home