Sunday, January 13, 2008

Letter Writing Party!

It's Universal Letter Writing Week.

It's a time to take some time off from the electronica, and use a real pen or pencil on real paper or greeting card, slip same into an envelope, address the whole shebang, put a postage stamp on it, and pop it in the mail.

Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it?

Now, imagine opening your mail box and finding an actual personal piece of mail, tucked as a surprize amongst the bills and ads and "Have You Seen Me?" cards. Wouldn't that be amazing? What a treat! It would be like finding your favorite of all favorites in a sampler box of chocolates that are mostly the wrong type. (For me, that would be milk chocolate maple creams -- *shudder* -- which, for some, I know, is sacrelige. But that's way too sweet. Give me solid dark chocolate infused with lavender.)

So you see it's a delight and a treasure. The person on the receiving end feels special and singled out: "This much trouble for ME? Wow. How nice!" At least, that's how I feel. Email is immediate and takes less effort. Ok, my emails are usually long and involved. So I won't discount them! But when I write a letter, there's usually extra stuff that goes into them: comics carefully cut from the newspaper, confetti sprinkles, just little flat thoughtful things that can easily be slipped into the letter without adding to the bulk. And I doodle. Plus I have really cool script. Yes, I just did say that about my own handwriting, but I do calligraphy, and I cultivated my personal script years ago very carefully. People comment favorably and regularly on my script. I know my talent. It really ought to be used for letter writing more often!

So here's my pledge. At least once a month (not counting the thank you notes we are still sending from our wedding in July) I will send at least one hand written note. It's already on my calendar. I have done my duty for the month of January, per the guidelines of Universal Letter Writing Week.

This was not my idea. Heather, from the Art for Cures group I donate to, sent out a notice to the group last Tuesday about this event. She linked to Laura, whose blog is called katydiddys, and I would be completely remiss if I didn't link to them! Go, check them out. They both do extraordinary art. Beautiful. They also have great Etsy sites, and if you are interested in doing some letter writing but don't have a card, buy some from them!!! You will be inspired, and your recipient will be thrilled.

Heather's blog is called WineMaker'sSister and in her post about the letter writing party, she tells a very moving story about her friend Mary's generosity with her handmade cards, encouraging officemates to take them as long as they used them to write letters to people. Just go to her site, read the story for yourself, and see if it doesn't move you! :-)

Then, when you're done with her blog, please do click on the link for Heather's Etsy site. She has some lovely work for sale. I encourage everyone for 2008 to Buy Handmade. This was a big campaign during the holidays, but I think we should remember it for birthdays and anniversaries and other occassions, too. Certainly cards for all occassions -- take a look!

Feeling inspired? Shut down the computer, turn on some good music, clear a generous space for writing. Equipped with your favorite warm mug of wonderfulness and a juicy pen (you know what I mean, something with good flow) and crisp paper, write something from your heart to someone who hasn't seen your writing in a while.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Laura Bray said...

Wow! Thanks for the plug! Glad to see you joined us!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I loved your post and your commitment to writing at least one letter a month during 2008.

Thanks so much for the plug for my Etsy shop and to Buy Homemade!

Heather

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks, Heather and Laura! I'm really glad you both are doing this. It's so important to get back to letting our hands do more work than merely clicking keys. I firmly believe in the powerful impact of the Handmade Good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home