Wednesday, November 28, 2007

She's Got Mail!

Dateline: Land of the Free.

Ann Coulter got some hand-delivered mail. I won't reveal the cover of the card, suffice to say it was a Dick Cheney quote. A real show-stopper. (Or, more accurately, Congress-stopper.)

The contents aren't quite as explicit as the cover. It DIDN'T say, Dear Ann, you are wise and sensitive, and I admire your discerning taste in delicate phrases." Nor did it praise her gentle way with children and small animals. It was not a request for cookie recipes. Unless they chose not to reveal the entire contents of the handwritten portion inside the card, nothing was said about enquiries after her hair dye.

The cover is printed; it is produced by Chronicle Books. I mention that because the design was first available as (and still IS) a counted cross stitch pattern from Subversive Cross Stitch, a site created by fiber artist Julie Jackson.

In fact, if you read the article linked above, you'll see Julie's participation in the comment section. In fact, here's the first bit:
I can't believe someone could print such filthy cards. And I can't believe my name is on the back of them instead of my URL.

That's a live link for Subversive Cross Stitch, up there in that other paragraph, folks! Click, visit, visit more! Browse, buy, tell your friends; it's a really fun site. She has glow in the dark designs!!!

I hope this brings her lots of business! I like her designs -- they're sassy, playful, and just the kind of things I want to stitch sometimes. Not all the time, but you know, there are just times when that embroidery needle only fits in my fist... (Figuratively speaking. In a practical application, that would never work.)

This is the first time I have ever endorsed any site that sells stuff. I am not being compensated for this.

I also buy patterns and supplies from Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching, so check her out too! It's yet another gorgeous site full of great tools, art, materials, and goodness. You will learn, you will be inspired, you will come away a better person.

My Grandma Kopsell taught me to embroider (starting with a stamped cross stitch pattern) when I was 5. I took a huge hiatus from it, now I'm doing it again, mixing it sometimes with my weaving. It's a good hobby. It's a great artform. You make of it what you want. These two ladies can help you begin your journey along your own path.

BUT... I love that somebody's path got a little trippy, and included a Julie Jackson design hand-delivered to Ann Coulter. You probably want to exercize a little caution. Certainly, at least let the USPS deliver your missives whenever you feel the need to get your flame mail on! I rarely feel the need to do that, but caution and discernment are two great things to practice. I know from my own experience they take a lot of practice sometimes, but the result, just like 6-pack abs, is very rewarding!

If you can't do practice caution or discernment, then by all means, learn the delightful art of ignoring the jerk. That's the thing they most dislike. Try it, you'll like it. But also try embroidery!!! It'll make ignoring the jerks of the world soooo much more enjoyable. Plus, when you jab yourself with the needle, you'll have someone to blame.

Signing off from the Home of the Brave...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home