Friday, March 14, 2008

Celebr8 NUMB3R5 TOD4Y!!

Today is Pi day!! It's March 14th. 3.14

3.14159265358979 and it just goes on forever. This number does not repeat. It's not like 3.333333 with a line over the last 3s. Pi is a beautiful number.

22 divided by 7 is another way to describe pi, but not completely accurate. Not completely wrong, either. This is one of those rare times when math gets a little bit fuzzy. That simply doesn't happen very often -- math is ordinarily quite precise. Very much unlike language.

Know what else is wonderful about pi? It's a homophone for pie. So how does one celebrate Pi Day? A wide variety of pies, of course!! Shepherd's pie, meat pie (just not after watching Sweeney Todd on a day like today...), chicken pot pie, something's nagging at me that I should be remembering something with grapeleaves, apple pie, chocolate pie, blueberry, pumpkin, lemon meringue, and strawberry pies! Most of them are circles. And the circle is what makes the measurement so fuzzy, and therefore so celebratory.

Go hug a circle today!

 

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I am so out of my geek loop. You're the second person to write about this today and I'd never heard of Pi day before.

I'm going to eat some brownies instead because they're here and, well, clearly I'm a square ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home