Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Home of the Free.

I am closely following the sad and tragic events in Zimbabwe. I have deep sympathy and an utter sense of helplessness over the horrors being suffered by the people in that country.

I find it unthinkable that a person could be removed from a bus at random, interrogated about their political loyalties, and beaten for hours if the wrong answer is given.

How is it possible that this is happening? How is it happening that no other country is stepping in? I understand the African National Congress' desire for autonomy. I applaud that. I believe that they need to be their own salvation. I believe the world is waiting for some good news from Africa, and that this would be a marvelous time for such a bold move. But why do they insist on such impotence? Do they fear like action on their own regimes? Mirrors are dangerous.

Robert Mugabe is nothing more than one more cookie-cutter strong man in a dime-a-dozen military uniform covered with as many medals as his puffed-up pigeon chest can support. The world has seen so many that look just like him, across Africa, Asia, South and Central America... I believe it was an accident of injustice that Idi Amin died of natural causes. Former Liberian president Charles Taylor is in the Hague being tried for war crimes, crimes against humanity, and other heinous awfulness (not a legal term); others have come to really nasty ends. Mugabe will have his, too.

I'm grateful that I live in the United States. I do not have to agree with the administration, and on the occasions when I do not, I am free to discuss it openly. I can discuss it with friends and family. I have had interesting, polite, stimulating conversation about the upcoming presidential election with strangers at the auto dealership while waiting for repairs, and the exchange was marvelous; we parted richer for having heard each others' thoughts. I can call radio programs and write to newspapers and blogs. In the media, I can see or hear how it's done by professional journalists and pundits with the politeness and studied, even-handed, non-editorial position of an NPR/PBS interview, or with the blustery, interrupting, biased, and agenda-pushing of a FOX News broadcast.

I am grateful that I am generally safe from my country's administration.

I hope that this is something that not only stays that way, but continues to improve.

 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not agree more with you - actually there are more out there - see Simon Mann and this absolute SOB M.F. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo so that the country is called already the "Auschwitz of Africa"

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for your comment and for taking the time to read my blog. I am glad that others are interested in this issue. It is so very important. I am afraid it is not getting enough coverage in the United States, though NPR are doing a valiant effort! I am glad you are so informed, and I will do my best to read more of your informant. Thanks for your source!

--Peace, Rebecca/SunSpotting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home