Thursday, December 20, 2007

Feeling Aunt-sy

My two nieces could neither be more adorable nor more different, and for that I am most grateful.

Adelaide is girly and has been encouraged to embrace Barbie dolls. I'm not fond of little girls imprinting on those unattainable body types, but she's not my kid. As I said, she was encouraged in this pursuit, and I am happy to bring her happiness. She's got good parents who are very attentive: I'm not worried about her. Besides, someday she's going to rebel against type. That's when I'll be there, to teach her how to make a faux shrunken head necklace with any irreparably damaged dolls. That's what I did with some of mine. This past Halloween gave me the feeling she'll probably come to that on her own.

She's completely wonderful. For Halloween she ended up with an amazing idea for her costume. (She's 4 years old.) Originally she wanted to be a princess. But after a few weeks of thinking about it and seeing the costume (and we all know how looking at a thing wears it out...) of course she changed her mind. She decided she would rather be a monster. Wellllll, she thought about it a little longer, and came up with this great compromise: she would be a princess monster. Genius. I love it.

Full disclosure about the Barbies: I have a Barbie collection. Now. I started this collection as an adult. It came about because of the village in the Philippines that call me Tita Barbie ('nother story, 'nother time). But I also don't collect the stereotypical blonde Barbies: Diwali Barbie, Ilocano off-brand 'Barbie' from the Philippines (Ilocano is one of the many cultures in the Philippines, and happens to be the one my father-in-law belongs to), and on my list are the recently introduced Marvel and DC Comics character Barbies, like Harley Quinn and Mary Jane Watson. But I'm not in danger (anymore) of identifying with the waspy waist and enormous bust and permanently stiletto-toed body construction of these dolls. I rather like the diversity they show -- frankly, I'm overjoyed by it. And I've gotten over my eating disorders. (That's not a joke.)

Our other niece, Sarah, is showing musical aptitude like nobody's business. She's three and she'd been identifying every instrument in the orchestra by sound since before we saw her in July. I just can't wait to see what she will do with her talent!! She's quite a smart cookie, and very clever to go along with the intelligence. That's a handy combination! My heart breaks regularly because she lives so far away, and it's rare when we get to see her. My dad is in Atlanta right now spending a few days with them. I'm very jealous.

We try to spoil our special girls. Cleveland Niece is getting Island Princess Barbie with a bunch of accessories. I know she'll squeal! Atlanta Niece is getting a Casio keyboard -- it's one that's got slightly smaller keys for smaller hands and fingers. But it's not a toy keyboard, it'll grow with her. I hope she has fun, and doesn't drive Matt and Marianne too crazy!!

On top of those big things, there are books of stickers, they each get 2 Christmas books, and there's a bonus book this year. I believe you can never have enough books, let alone too many.

I love the giving part of Christmas.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home