Friday, December 21, 2007

Another thing I never knew I couldn't live without

Yesterday I parenthetically disclosed my Barbie fascination/collection. Today I learned of one I would love to add to my collection: "Muslim Barbie", called Fulla Doll.

No kidding. This is the real deal, produced in Syria for the Egyptian toy market by people fed up with their daughters emulating icons of other cultures.

Who can blame them? I certainly won't! Every child should have toys that reflect their features and values. I'm so happy there's a doll for them!

I will go on record right now that if some sick jerk issues "Satanic Sacrifice Barbie" or "Suicide Bomber Barbie", I'm not interested. Those are not values I validate -- like all kind and considerate people, I find them completely repellent. I guess I'm more prejudiced than I was previously prepared to admit... In this particular prejudice, I think I'm happy. "Here I stand, I can do no other."

Anyway, the Fulla Doll is wearing a full chador, head to wrists to ankles, and a bright friendly smile. Nothing unappealing about this doll! And like Western-style "Island Princess"-"Malibu"-"Happy Sunshine"-"(fill in whatever name here)" Barbie, there are other clothes and a whole story to go along with the doll. It satisfies the children and the parents.

I am a bit concerned that doll will be squashed by the the ultra-conservatives, who traditionally have taken a hard-line view of all things involving "graven images" (man-made representations of God or Mankind; only the Creator can Create). It is because of the commandments against such 'acts against the Creator' that the world has such works of breathtaking geometric delicacy in art as exhibited at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain and at the Taj Mahal in Agra, India, among so very many others. The brilliance extended to calligraphy and textiles as well. Oppression very often leads to remarkable artistic expression.

Of course, the 20th Century exception to the commandment became the massive onslaught of paintings and photographs and side-of-buildings murals of ultra-conservative leaders, who apparently were willing to turn a blind eye to this blatant commandment-breaking in favor of narcissism. Unless they release an Ayatollah doll, I fear for the long term permission these fine children will have to play with these toys.

The funny twist is that it also seems to be taking a swipe at globalization. Clearly, it's not Mattel; nor is it made in China. It's a Middle East product for a Middle East market. The story as it was reported on PRI's The World (linked near the top of this post: "Muslim Barbie")also explained that other popular dolls, specifically Bratz dolls, are being priced (I got the impression, though it was not outright said, that it was deliberate) at four times the price of the Fulla Doll. So economics is also pushing the sale. It will be interesting to see where this is heading.

I definitely want one.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home